Fantastico Version of WordPress has RSS Issues

I figured I’d try the “quick and easy” install of WordPress 1.5.2 for the Tech Help Blog I’m creating. I had an article on there already, and was just testing it all out and configuring it when I came across a wierd problem.

I like using FeedBurner for my RSS syndication now because of their cool stats tracking. But, when I tried adding the WordPress RSS feed to FeedBurner, I got a 404. I thought that was weird, so I tried typing it into the browser and it came up just fine. So, I thought maybe FeedBurner was wigging out. I let them know and they indicated that WP does/did have some issues with RSS in some of the older versions (<= 1.5.1). But, I had 1.5.2. So, I kept testing some fixes, checking code, changing permalinks and the .htaccess file. Didn't find a thing. I even overwrote the root and include files with some from this blog and it didn't fix anything. Eventually I just gave up with it and grabbed the new source code and did a full install (database and everything). Now, it works just fine. I have no idea what the fix is, but whatever code Fantastico uses isn't fully updated or has a bug in it. My guess is some old WP code that had that prob in it. The moral of the story is, don't take shortcuts unless you make them yourself.

Nate Ritter lives in the Pacific Northwest (U.S.), popularized the #hashtag and creates web applications for a living. He also does miles and point hacking to enable cheap travel for his family. More here →

Comments are closed.

 
More in Development, General, Techie
WordPress Category RSS/XML Feeds

Having been "self-employed" for the past 6 weeks has allowed me the time to think and read about blogging quite...

Close