New RSS subscribers don’t know what RSS is

According to MarketingSherpa.com, people who are just starting to use RSS, don’t know what the heck it is. They don’t care either (surprise surprise).

More stats:

  • 45% of RSS users say they “do not approve of ads in RSS” while the other 55% say they don’t really like them, but understand they are necessary.
  • 75 million web users in the US and UK use RSS routinely, but about 50 million have no idea what RSS is
  • These are the folks who use MyYahoo or MyMSN as their RSS readers and they will bypass the little orange symbol like a dead carcas in the road.

So, what’s the trick? Get on MyYahoo or MyMSN.

How do you do that? Send an email to them with the link (if you have an in-house email newsletter), or read Yahoo’s Publisher’s Guide to RSS.

If you know how to get on MyMSN or have any other tricks of the trade, let’s hear it. Leave a comment below.

[tags]MyYahoo, MyMSN, RSS, feed, subscribe[/tags]

Nate Ritter lives in the Pacific Northwest (U.S.), popularized the #hashtag and creates web applications for a living. He also does miles and point hacking to enable cheap travel for his family. More here →

3 Comments on "New RSS subscribers don’t know what RSS is"

  1. Chad says:

    Problem with RSS Feed in WordPress.
    I have a subdomain that I installed wordpress for another blog site, but the subdomain site's rss feed points to my parent site.
    Can anyone come up with any suggestions?

  2. nate says:

    Can you be a little more specific? How about urls?

Trackbacks for this post

  1. Nate Ritter » WordPress: Using FeedBurner? Update your auto-discovery headers!
 
More in Community, General, Techie
Helping one person at a time (part 2)

Sunday I wrote part 1 of this series of posts. We've brought up some good questions while looking at GlobalGiving.com...

Close