My new design and Adsense

I’ve been contemplating my spankin’ fresh new design and how pretty and uncluttered it is (feel free to tell me you disagree, I like conflict). I’ve also been considering Chris Garrett’s thoughts on "adsense vs sticky" blogs.

As I said in my comment on Chris’s article, I don’t think it’s good to have a blog written simply for the adsense revenue. Adsense originally was a great idea because it could give people the opportunity to make money from their passion – writing. But, I think it’s been lost in the shuffle. Now, it’s “I can make money just by writing? Cool!”. That’s a bad idea.

I must refer back to the waterbook project and it’s trouble finding a revenue model that wasn’t advertising. I think as bloggers, we need to find the same thing (if we’re concerned with monetizing our efforts at all). There’s a part of me who doesn’t care to monetize this. And there’s another part of me that thinks “hey, if it can be done, it should be.”

So, here’s my dillema. I have about $50 in adsense money sitting in my account. If I don’t put adsense back on this site, I will lose that cash. If I do, I lose the prettiness of the new design. (The last option I’ve thought of is put it back on until I reach the amount it takes for them to send me a check, then remove it.)

What do you think I should do? I’d love your feedback.

10 Comments on "My new design and Adsense"

1. Frank says:

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here Nate. I’ve been able to fight the urge for monetizing my blog…just barely (I have a donation button which no one has ever used). I’ve thought about linking book recommendations to an Amazon associates account…but have not gotten around to it. Honestly, I just don’t like AdSense ads on any site. Not sure why. I recommend you toss the $50 and enjoy your new site ;).

Thanks for the comment Frank.

I’ve used Amazon associates accounts and they haven’t done squat for me yet. Feel free to go looking around my site and use them though. However, even though they haven’t done anything for me yet, I have this idealistic idea that if you give people the right content, they will want what you’re displaying as an associate.

Maybe that’s what we all need to become, rather than keeping our souls to ourselves, we should sell them to the highest associate and make our sites market products we believe in. The only problem with that is I can’t be random anymore. Dang it.

I’m so torn!

Anyone else want to chime in?

3. David Hardin says:

Nate,
    I got here via the Duh Gallery post via Weblog Tools Collection via WordPress Dashboard. Personally I use Adsense but it does seem to ‘cheapen’ a sites look. (By the way, great theme.) I earn enough from my blog to cover my hosting costs and keep my wife at bay when I spend to much time online. My thoughts are that if you really value your site, use it a source of reference, not revenue. Being a freelance web developer, this is your unofficial resume. On the other hand, I am developing small online applications that not only rely on ad revenue, but are in fact built for that purpose. Choices, choices…

David,

I’m so happy you came here via that route (and that you told me that you did)!

What do you mean you are developing small online applications that are built for the purpose of ad revenue? Do you mean to say you’re building something that competes with Google and YPN? Or, that you’re building something that relies on them on purpose?

Care to share more?

5. David Hardin says:

Nate,
    Not exactly… My partner and I are about to launch a few single page sites that each have a small useful custom application. A similar site would be something like Zillow, or a mashup. Ajax, web 2.0, , etc… with contextual ads to pay the bills/profit. Nothing as grand as a new ad model, yet.

Well please come back here and let us know when you release those. I’d be happy to take a look at it and as long as it’s not obscene, I’d be happy to leave a link here to support you too.

7. David Hardin says:

I’ll be more than happy to. Don’t worry, it’s nothing obscene. Just numbers and data in a pretty package.

8. Hi Nate

Toss the revenue. I couldn’t agree more with what is said. I have to admit to trying the adsense programme but only the once. Never again. It just doesn’t look right and I feel it would ruin your site.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I think I agree. Although, after releasing the Duh Gallery plugin, I almost wanted to put the adsense back on. I’ve had such a huge response which has not been monetized. Alas, se la vie (no idea if that’s spelled right).

10. Hi Nate

I think it is “c’est la vie” that is if you mean “that’s life”!

Rich

More in Business, General
Who are you? Yea, YOU.

I was just reading Jeremy Keith's thoughts on the value of comments and got to the part about popularity of...