To Adsense or not to Adsense. That is the question (again).

After an almost unanimous uproar (if I can call it that) about thinking about putting Adsense back into my blog, I’ve thought of an alternative solution today, and I’d like your feedback on it.

I’ve read throughout the “blogosphere” the pros and cons to advertising on our blogs. Most people for it are so because it supports our ultimate desire to sit in our bathrobes, pajamas, or lack-there-of and write. It’s a grand idea (some say unrealistic). Those against seem to be advocating the necessity of beautiful and uncluttered design. Personally, I’d like both.

So, let me know what you think about this: What if I could choose to put advertisements on certain pages? For instance, let’s say I have these posts that talk about gadgets. Maybe I do a review. Maybe people like or hate it enough to come and comment on it. Maybe I get really high in the search engines and I didn’t even intend to do so. Whatever the case, people are coming to certain articles in droves. Now, for these posts, I’d love to monetize just those pages – giving myself the feeling of not completely selling out, but being a smart business person as well.

After the wildly successful (an 800% jump in traffic) release of my first WordPress plugin, I’ve been thinking the ability to choose which pages you want ads on just might be a good idea for another plugin. I think it would help those of us who don’t like the all or nothing problem with putting advertising on our sites and screwing up the beautiful themes we have.

I would love it if you’d comment here and let me know what you think about this idea?

[tags]advertising, ads, adsense, wordpress, plugin, monetization, design, beauty[/tags]

7 Comments on "To Adsense or not to Adsense. That is the question (again)."

Well after a whole 6 hours of no comments on this page, I figure I’ll just peek around and see what’s already out there.

Alas, there’s already one out there that’s not too bad.

So, I’m using it. Please revolt here if you want to.

2. damian says:

I’ve been thinking of the same thing. Right now I have a small Google Ad-Words on my site on the left column, but I find it doesn’t really fit in, so I was planning on simply adding in the code for Google Ad-Words manually in just certain posts, but now that you’ve found that plugin I think I’m going to give that a try.

Yea, it’s pretty nice. Let me know what you think of it.

4. Mihai says:

Adsense is poor on blogs, but you should develop a website on the same theme as your blog ad direct blog visitors to it.

Regards,

Mihai

Mihai,
    Thanks for the post, but can you be a little more specific? What would be the difference? (and a more philisophical question would be what’s the difference between a blog and a “website”?)

Ah, so we just get a little personal spam. Whatever. I’ll leave the link up there for any readers who happen to stumble across it. At least he/she took the time to write a real comment that kinda had something to do with the topic.

7. Francesco says:

It is a couple of years I run Adsense. Nate, the funny thing is that you and your visitors need to have fun with the ads. Else it will not work. Potentially any page can host ads, it is crucial to choose well the layout of the page and the style of the ads. I suggest you to run ads on your blogs and to look carefully their performance to tune up your ads style. From my experience the same ads in the same position of the page, with a different style, can perform bad or 20X better. Here there are some tips from Adsense:

More in Business, Design, Development, General, Projects, Techie
Facebook: $2B Acquisition?

Wow, and I thought I'd never see the day when a seemingly small site/business got more than MySpace did. $2...