Heterosexual Pride Store

heterosexual pride (black and white) I’ve had this idea in my head for a long time. I argued with my old college buddies’ girlfriends about the idea that it might come across as “mocking”. But, in the end, I don’t really care all that much. I figure that if I’m happy to be a heterosexual, I might as well say so. I mean, heck, gay people love to spout that they’re gay (yes, I realize that’s a gross overgeneralization). So, why can’t I say that I’m proud to be a heterosexual?

heterosexual pride (example T)

If you’re interested in a t-shirt, hoody, or something else with the above logo on it, you can get a bunch of stuff over at the store.

Bring on the flames! I love controversy! (Just be civil or I’ll delete your comment and you will have wasted those 5 seconds it took to think up the spiteful comment.)

[tags]heterosexual, pride, heterosexual pride[/tags]

56 Comments on "Heterosexual Pride Store"

1. Your Pal says:

Been there, done that.

Nothing like spicing up what I thought was an interesting blog with a little bit of homophobia. I’m appalled at the general bigotry and right-wing fervor displayed by those with whom you share your stance.

Feed -> unsubscribe.

(edited: removed the <a> tags because they weren’t linking anywhere).

2. Jared says:

I almost used your gallery plug-in for wordpress…and then I stumbled across this and decided not to.

I really don’t want to have something become part of my own personal creation that was partially developed by someone effected by what I would now refer to as the disease of homophobia.

Since when is being proud of my heterosexuality mean that I’m homophobic. If you knew me, you would never assume that, considering I have many friends who are, in fact, gay. I don’t hate gays. I am not afraid of gays. I am standing up for what I am proud of. If we take this on the other side of the coin, does that mean that all the rainbows, gay pride months, days, weeks, holidays, concerts and flags all mean that everyone who supports or participates in such are heterophobes? Of course not. So why am I now a labeled (not self-described) homophobe?

Oh, and on a side note…. so you’re unsubscribing from a feed you once read, and you’re not using a product you would have otherwise. Man, that sounds like a boycot to me. Please don’t ever tell me that you’ve chastised right-winged bigots (which I am not, btw), for boycotting something they believe is wrong. That might be seen as hypocritical. It’s amazing how that comes back around to bite you in the ass huh?

4. Will says:

Ban Republican Marriage!

5. Max says:

I stumbled on the image in your gallery and was momentarily shocked. Now I can see that you’re joking, but it didn’t make me laugh.

Obviously, the idea of the gay pride movement is to encourage people to ‘come out’ and be open about something that is considered taboo – Something that is socially unacceptable in many circles, illegal in some places, and occasionally even punishable by death.

It really doesn’t make any sense to celebrate heterosexual pride, and the obvious conclusion is that you are really insinuating something else. Some people might just see it as humorous mockery, but I suspect most people would assume you were an ultraconservative. This isn’t an unreasonable assumption, when you think about the ultranationalists, nazis and racists who associate themselves with the comparable reactive movement White Pride!

I won’t be wearing one of your t-shirts, but if you’ve really tried it, I’m very intrigued what response you got.

Max, thanks for the post. I see your point.

I wonder, though, is the gay pride movement all about encouraging people to come out? It probably was that intention from the beginning. But, from what I’ve experienced it has become more. From what I’ve seen, it has become an excuse. An excuse to piss on conservatives. An excuse allowing seperation – just like segregation – rather than inclusion.

That may not be what others have experienced. So, I can see why some may be upset. But, I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s experienced this.

In fact, the funny thing about all this is I’m just propagating the reverse of what’s already going on, as a point of the irony. I make a shirt that says I’m proud to be a heterosexual and suddenly I’m labeled homophobe. Yet, it happens the other way around and they’re not labeled heterphobes. It’s a double standard I’m trying to point out.

If you look deep into the racism problem, you’ll see and hear many african americans and other minorities now saying “Hey, we’ve got this far… sure there’s some progress still yet to be made, but let’s stop calling every little thing out as racism. Doing so just brings the problem to mind, rather than erasing it and truely getting the equality we desire.”

Thus, when people get pissed off about this, it just shows how far we really have to go to get rid of the problem of seperation.

(Of course, the other side of the coin is that if we don’t address the real problems, then they won’t get fixed. But, that’s not my point. My point is that I’m proud to be a heterosexual, and pride has nothing to do with keeping homosexual rights at bay.)

Now, dare I really say my true feelings on the subject beyond this argument?

7. Simon says:

Searching for straight pride on google turns up a plethora of pages, products, and debates identical to this one. Unfortunately, most are not civil discussions or proposed in any logical light; it\’s just fervor. So while you may have good intentions with your bit o\’ inside humor, it\’s the company you keep that implicates other motives.

Simon,

Thanks for the post. I appreciate the percentage of signal to noise so far in this discussion here. I agree. Unfortunately, some who share the same views as I do on other topics unfortunately have just as nasty a temper as I’ve ever seen. I apologize for them. Please disregard them as uncivil.

Thanks. (never thought of searching for such a thing…. *checks it out*)

9. Max says:

You talk about ‘pissing’ on the conservatives, but I think its more than that. I think the intention is not simply to offend, but to actively undermine conservatism. That’s why many heterosexual people also go along to Pride in order to support the movement (and have fun).

Traditionally it is the conservatives who try to restrict our freedom with all their old-fashioned mores and religious motivations, so Pride is an opportunity to mount a highly visible revolt against this conservatism. And the festival is influential not just at home but it also promotes others abroad, where homophobia is still more influential (I don’t know about San Diego, but here in London homophobes are already totally marginalised).

You talk about causing segregation, but if you meant between gays and heterosexuals then I think you are wrong, because everybody is welcome at Pride and the adverts make that clear. The only conflict is between people who value sexual freedom and the opposing conservatives. But this sort of conflict is inevitable, because Pride is a social/political movement after all.

I think the natural question to ask is this: what are the goals of your ‘heterosexual pride’ movement? The obvious assumption is that you are rallying conservatives in order to fight back. But, if you’re really not suggesting any movement at all, then it seems rather silly to wear the t-shirt. You might as well have Right-Handed Pride, Average Height Pride, Quite Typical Penis Pride…

Finally, even if homophobia is wiped out, I think that Gay Pride might still make sense in a way that heterosexual pride does not. Assuming that only a few percent of the population are gay (i really have no idea), then it must be very hard for them to meet companions, I guess the Pride festival is a great way to meet other gay people.

10. Max says:

Oh, also, you say:

… gay people love to spout that they’re gay (yes, I realize that’s a gross overgeneralization). So, why can’t I say that I’m proud to be a heterosexual?

As it stands, if you don’t say anything or behave any differently then people will just assume you are heterosexual. Perhaps gay people have to be explicit in making their sexuality known if they want to stand any chance of meeting a partner, but it’s not the same for heterosexuals.

Ok, so then what if my images and t-shirts really WERE a motivation for undermining homosexual pride and sexual freedom? Does that make me a homophobe?

I wouldn’t be afraid of homosexuals. I would merely want to point out that speaking out against homosexuality has more to do with the action (notice, I said “homosexuality”, not “homosexual”) than it does the person. (Enter the nature vs. nurture debate.)

And since when does having trouble finding a partner/mate/whatever give rights to marginalize others? For many things that I support, the meetings, or parades, or whateve are not intended for me to find a partner through them. It may be a result of it anyway, but it’s not the intention, and I don’t think it’s a good reason to create civil unrest because someone wants to meet someone else. There’s lots of other ways (internet?).

Oh, and I fully agree with having a “Right-Handed Pride” t-shirt, etc. That would be funny. And it wouldn’t piss people off. In fact, I do have a t-shirt I created that says “Average Joe”. I had that done long before that stupid tv show came out and I love it, and so do a lot of other people. So, does everything we do have to have a controversy or a point? Nah.

12. I think there might be some confusion about what “gay pride” actually means. Specifically, Nate, you seem to be missing the connotation of that kind of statement. Historically, phrases like “gay pride” or “black power” are coined not to state the obvious (“there are proud gay people” or “there are powerful black people”), and they’re not intended to state exclusivity (“i’m proud because i’m gay, you should be ashamed to be anything else” or “black people are powerful, everyone else is powerless”). Instead, they’re stated in opposition to a status quo message (“you should be ashamed to be gay” or “black people are powerless”) in order to encourage that status quo to change. So the end result is a connotation (“i’m gay, and i’m still proud” or “i’m black, and i still have power”) that becomes more mainstream as the message sees success. (It also gets misused by some, like anything else. Doesn’t mean it’s not necessary.)

Thought of that way, a shirt proclaiming “heterosexual pride” ends up like a shirt proclaiming “babies taste like chicken.” It’s technically true, but that’s totally outweighed by the connotations of the phrase. In your case, people assume that your real statement is “the status quo states that i should be ashamed to be heterosexual”, which is the kind of upside-down logic used frequently by the religious right to turn the oppressor into the victim. (Just in case the reality of oppressing gay people is in doubt, use this as a test: has anyone forbidden you to marry, fired you, arrested you, or officially classified you as having a mental disorder because you’re homosexual?)

As far as the shirt goes, I think that you’d be able to save it if you could make it tongue-in-cheek somehow. That’s why a “babies taste like chicken” shirt would actually work in some circles. (As-is, yours isn’t actually funny. Sorry, dude.) For instance, the same shirt with a footnote of “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” Or something funnier, because I’m not so much a comedian. ;)

13. Max says:

“babies taste like chicken” LOL!!!

Actually I’ve discovered that there’s now a trend to move away from the name ‘Gay Pride’. Apparently they changed it to LGBT Pride a long time ago, but now some people are promoting an acronym instead: PRIDE.

Here in europe, there’s also an international festival (which is held today coincidentally) but it’s called EuroPride.

(I had some links, but I’ve had to take them out cause the spam filter was menacing me)

14. Dave says:

It always strikes me as odd that groups of people who consider themselves in a minority or disenfranchised and cry out for equality, freedom of speech/sexuality etc. seem to frequently have a problem with someone stating that they believe the opposite.

I have no problem with someone saying they are ‘proud to be gay’ just as I have no problem with someone saying they are ‘proud to be heterosexual’ or anything else for that matter. An opinion is entirely one’s own and everyone is entitled to have one (and everyone is also entitled to have theirs shot down too :-) )

But just one thing… where can i order a ‘Babies taste like chicken’ T-shirt?

15. But just one thing… where can i order a ‘Babies taste like chicken’ T-shirt?

Crap. Now I’m tempted to put one up on Goodstorm…

16. Dave says:

Chris.. mine’s an XL :-)

17. Brent says:

I don’t really understand group pride things like gay pride, hetero pride, white pride, Italian pride. Your shirt isn’t silly because hetero pride is silly, it is silly because group pride, in most cases, is silly. So what if you are a member of a specific group that you were born into. It didn’t take any work to get in that group, and you can’t honestly cite the accomplishments of other members of the group as your own just because you share a trait, can you? I get what you were trying to do here, but I’d rather see a shirt that says Nate Pride.

18. Kelley says:

Nate,

If I didn’t know you better, I’d think we were separated at birth. And since, I don’t… I won’t. :)

I love your personality… I love the way your words come across so innocently yet spark the fires that burn within…. Bravo my dear! I love your idea!!!!! Kudos!

Always,

– Kelley

19. Kalie says:

I love this I idea I mean, gay people are always saying they’re proud to be gay how how come us heterosexuals say were proud without getting critised?

Thanks Kelley and Kalie.

21. Vince Brewster says:

Your idea is fine with me.

I came across this site looking for instances where promoting one’s beliefs with a slogan such as “Heterosexual Pride” was outlawed at a school but a slogan such as “LBGTwhatever Pride” was allowed.

Such a double standard annoys me.

22. clint says:

Keep up the shirt printing!! Do you make bumperstickers!! It’s great to see that someone is not ashamed to be pro-heterosexual!

I am tired of the culture trying to make us straight men feel that we should hide our pride. I am a proud husband and father.

Unfortunately, I don’t make bumper stickers at this time, but if you know of some place that is able to make them, I’d be happy to add mine to the list.

24. heterosexual pride says:

we should be proud, as heterosexuals, that we are actually carrying on our species.

25. Andy says:

Your shirt is awesome. A good way to spite and defy the politically-correct. Nowadays, those who have every reason to be ashamed are conditioned to have pride, and those who have every reason to be proud are conditioned to be ashamed. Heterosexuals are the ones who keep life going on this planet. Heterosexual plants, too. Without heterosexual plants, the homosexual florists would be out of business.

26. Greg says:

Hear, hear Chris! It’s th club of political correctness that I oppose. I don’t care one way or the other gay or not, it’s the right of the individual to say what and how they want to say WHATEVER they want. I did a search on “hetero pride” and was amazed that at every turn the gay community was concerned, annoyed, upset, or outright opposed any hetero pride marches, t-shirts, bumperstickers, anything! What hypocracy.

27. Elaine says:

I think it’s great and I don’t understand why anyone would be offended by it anymore than anyone is offended by Gay/LBGT/PRIDE shirts, celebrations, bumper stickers. I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people are too quick to take offense at the slightest thing. Relax, people. If someone wants to take pride in their sexuality, and proclaim it to the masses, where’s the problem? If someone wants to wear an “I Support Bestiality” shirt, that’s their business… I may not want to hang out with them, but again, that’s MY choice.
    And quite frankly, I don’t see where it’s my business or anyone else’s what your or your friend or your mother’s sexuality is anyway. If you want to show your pride in it, then by all means, go ahead, but accept that others have that same right as well, just as others have the right NOT to proclaim their sexuality. Choices, differences, lifestyles, heredity … it’s what makes the world go ’round!
    (And just in case anyone’s wondering, I lean slightly to the left of center, mostly liberal, with two homosexual siblings, and friends of varying sexualities, races, religions, and lifestyle choices, and I’ll take that shirt in an XL, thank you!)

28. Rickgyver says:

Why does it always come down to race, homo…whatever or anti-ANYTHING? Can’t we just agree to disagree? I have more gay and lesbian relatives than I care to admit. I still ove them but I am
    “commanded” by scripture to hate the sin involved.

Personally I am a Bible believing Christian who dearly loves God and has had a personal relationship going on with Jesus Christ since 1974!!
    I take no opffense at all when people turn up their nose and say with a sneer, “Christian? I suppose you are one of those ‘once saved, always saved’ believers”? And I proudly answer, “Yes I am. Would you like to learn more?!
    I would love to see Nate’s t-shirts worn everywhere. I will have one just to test the waters………….but:

In California, the Governator just signed a bill that takes effect in January. It allows children to be expelled from school if they show ANY homopho-whatever. If the “GAY/LESBIAN pride” people wear one of their t-shirts, straight kids can say NOTHING……..or else. But the road to expulsion doesn’t run both ways. Go figure. *scratches head*

II Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. NIV

Welcome to Washington DC politics!

29. lez b friends says:

It’s been a while since you posted this, so I just wanted to ask: How many shirts did you actually end up selling? It probably would have sold a lot better if it was funnier, like “Bizarro Gay Pride” with like the rainbow flag’s colors inverted or something.

Also, if you’re already in the majority, why do you feel the need to rub it in? We all know you’re proud of being straight, I mean you guys don’t even have laws saying you can’t get married.

I hope you don’t take this comment the wrong way. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but I think it could have done better if more effort was applied.

None. :) And that’s fine by me. It was a simple point I was trying to make. I wasn’t trying to “rub it in” at all. Since when does having pride in anything mean that I’m rubbing “it” (whatever “it” is) in someone else’s face.

The point was that I am proud to be heterosexual, not that I have laws that support me. Can’t I be proud of my heterosexuality without getting into the legality issues? I would be proud of my heterosexuality with or without any laws to support my choice.

Critiquing my “effort” and application thereof has nothing to do with the point here. Feel free to leave that out of your next comment.

31. In other news, the “babies taste like chicken” t-shirt has made me a multi-millionaire. Thanks, Nate!

You’re welcome Chris. I like being an enabler.

33. lez b friends says:

Well, that’s my point. Have you ever been discriminated against for being straight? Have you ever been afraid to go into public with your loved one because of violent reprecussions towards the two of you? Have you been told you were mentally ill for loving the people you do? It feels like rubbing it in for people who have faced discrimination. It’d be like wearing a “Non-disabled Pride” shirt. Of course you’re proud not to be born disabled, but it’s a kick in the teeth to people who are.

Pride in the context of Gay Pride isn’t just about being proud of who you are. Pride in that context is telling a society that says you should be ashamed of yourself that you aren’t. When has anyone told you to be ashamed of being straight?

34. Surefire Boy says:

This is hillarous! I can’t stop laughing!

Thank you Surefire Boy. Finally, someone gets it.

36. Surefire Boy says:

Maybe if it was

HETERO

PRIDE

your sales would go up? Some people may not like the word “sexual” on their apparel… It’s just an idea…

What if it was just SEXUAL PRIDE? haha..

38. Serena says:

I’ll take a Sexual Pride shirt, please.

I agree with the point you’re trying to make. I have several gay friends, who I’ve known for years, that never fail to remind me that they are gay when we go out together. [I’m talking about refusing to go places that aren’t frequented by other homosexuals, constantly wearing PRIDE pins and picking fights with strangers who look at them funny because they automatically assume that its because they are gay. I also want to note that these are all people who grew up in upper middle class families, every advantage one could desire and had perfectly normal childhoods. Everyone either accepted them when they came out with open arms or just flat out didn’t care one way or the other.] I love them to pieces, and I would never want to upset them by telling them they need to shut it but sometimes I can’t help but wonder how they would react if I was suddenly reminding them constantly of how I’m heterosexual.

Besides, even they could see the irony in this shirt and find it humorous.

39. Jenna says:

Why can homosexuals have gay pride but heterosexuals can’t have straight pride? that is so ridiculous and you people need to get a clue who oppose that. You want to talk bigotry? that is so prejudiced to say straight people can’t be proud of their sexuality. Idiots. In a time where homosexuality is rampant, I’m a proud heterosexual.

40. DooM says:

i have seen the posts of those who oppose to this heterosexual pride stuff, they claim that no one is telling us that we should be ashamed for being heterosexual, when they are actually doing it (in an implicit way) by calling the purpose of this silly or saying that they: “can’t see the point of all this”…

btw i live in mexico…and i would love to have one of your shirts, to walk outside in my town, showing that i’m not afraid of being pride of my heterosexuality…

sorry if my english is not so good…

41. Em says:

Wow. I just read Serena’s comment, and we have very similiar friends. The majority of my group of friends is gay (yes, that’s right – the heteros are the minority here). And, like Serena’s, refuse to go anywhere that isn’t gay-related…Every time we go out on the town, it MUST be to the gay bars, and there is a solid refusal to go to any straight bars. These are also people who are middle class, went to good schools, were praised for coming out (not one objection to any of them being gay), and, in fact, benefitted from coming out…Because, in this society, being gay is ‘cool’. Which makes me wonder how many of them actually did it just to be ‘cool’ (since a couple have since declared they are now straight.)

Anyway, onto the actual subject of the blog…I want one. And agree completely…if people like my friends, who have never come across any difficulties in their sexuality, can have gay pride…Why can’t I, who – due to my friends being fairly cliquey – has experienced a slight discrimination due to my heterosexuality, have hetero pride?

42. benjy says:

Hurrah for this thread! Wonderful stuff! This discussion started over 2 years ago, I see… and I totally stumbled here looking for someone who hates Clickbank.

On the topic: it is a very tangled web we weave and dwell in…
    It is an unfair double standard on one hand. Why should I be prevented from saying I’m proud to be a white collar, caucasian, male, straight, with a beautiful wife (asian), 2 mixed boys, bible-believing, baptist from middle america, with slightly above median household income?
    Might I offend the poor? Those with white wives? or single-heritage, full blooded children? Blue collar? Muslims? Presbyterians? or heaven forbid, those from the coasts?

And yet, it is, I think, at least somewhat understandable to not be too demonstrably proud about being in the vast majority insofar as it’s impolite to flaunt your advantage–numerical or otherwise.

So, maybe what this Hypothetical Shirt does is pour some salt in the open sore of special interest/minority politics as well as political correctness, in America anyway.

I think what it represents is the perceived unfairness on both sides–why should a minority group get special attention while I, member of the average joe majority, get nothing?

gambit: Minority person stakes claim on behalf of belonging.
    response: Average Joe Majority feels marginalized by not belonging and by anti-favorable policy, law, news, media, financial incentives, culture, etc.

gambit: Average Joe finds clever way to state his thankfulness/gratitude/and yes, Pride, for being who he is, despite being unfavorably treated in some ways.
    response: Minority person may feel threatened

I feel like this is “wargames” — what’s your next move in the simulation??

43. Aaron says:

Heterosexual Pride forever!

44. Dom Auri says:

Gay people wake up and stop comparing yourselves to black people! “I think there might be some confusion about what “gay pride” actually means. Specifically, Nate, you seem to be missing the connotation of that kind of statement. Historically, phrases like “gay pride” or “black power” are coined not to state the obvious (”there are proud gay people” or “there are powerful black people”), and they’re not intended to state exclusivity (”I’m proud because i’m gay, you should be ashamed to be anything else” or “black people are powerful”.

First off, where do gay people get the gall to compare themselves to what African American have gone through? Why do Gay groups always try to put themselves in the same company of a people who were brought here against their will and treated like dogs. Don’t you know that there were white gay slave owners! Gay people compare your plight to what the Jews were put thought and see how far you get. When black people were hanging from trees because we pissed off some white group or white people, where were all the good white gay people who came to the rescue?? Where? Enough is enough! Gay white males/females can live in this world far better that most black people. Why even Oprah was refused entry into a upper east side store several years ago. But white gay people will never have this problem. Even in the gay world, white gays are prejudiced to black gays or gays of color. Don’t tell me this doesn’t happen because I know black gay people who tell me other wise.

45. Jennifer says:

I think the shirt is great! I have nothing against individual homosexuals, what I hate is the way they take over the city for the annual Gay Pride event. It makes everyone else stay home and hide.

46. Oh_Me says:

OMG! I am sooo glad I not the only one who wanted to start a HeteroPride Movement.
    I too have many gay friends. I’ve met gay people who hate straight people. I have been around gays who if you don’t accept their way of life, its like you’re being insensitive.

We were born with the right to choose and think for ourselves. We live in a great nation that lets people practice what they want to and live their lives as they chose. And I wish people would understand that.

And I agree…do not compare being black to being gay. The only thing it has in common is they are both discriminated against (but then so is every demography, religions,lifestyles, socioeconomic class, etc) but people in a certain race popped out of the womb that way.

I love this whole Hetero Pride thing :) I wish more people would hop on the bandwagon.

47. Jaycee says:

I am so glad I found this site. I am so tired of the double standard. It’s okay to go around and reference that you are a homosexual but as soon as you mention that you are straight, and proud to be straight, you are automatically dubbed a bigot and a homophobe. I am neither and I’m proud to be heterosexual. What I don’t understand is why the homosexual community strives for equal rights but then turns around and expects special treatments for their sexual preferences? Isn’t that a little contradictory? I don’t go around asking for laws to be revamped or a parade because I like vanilla ice cream over chocolate nor would I be offended if someone else chose chocolate. The gay community needs to stop being overly sensitive and just take the good with the bad like everybody else (isn’t that how they want to be treated anyway, like everybody else?)

I am proud to be heterosexual, that does not mean that I hate homosexual people, it does not mean that I wish ill upon them, nor does it mean I am a bad person. That is what I think the whole point of Nate’s purpose is here, to prove that point.

48. Hetero -gooooood!

49. Michael says:

Nate,
    I love your ideas.
    Here are couple more that are harder to get sued for.
    Use/rephrase them if you like.
    “I am proud of my sexual orientation”
    “Sexual pride”.

50. Brainstormer says:

Other Ideas:

“quietly unashamed heterosexual”
    “unashamed heterosexual”
    “proud taco fan”
    “I plant seeds where they can grow”

for various levels of outspokenness ;)

51. Patrick EB says:

Yeah…I do think you miss the point and fail to make one at the same time.

As has been pointed out, ‘gay pride’ is a response to homophobia in its many forms, specifically those that vilify and aggressively discriminate.

To say ‘I’m proud of being heterosexual’ means what exactly?

You infer some annoyance and a lack of happiness with what you believe ‘gay pride’ has come to mean, which displays a level of personal antipathy and frustration. This informs me more of what you think ‘hetero pride’ is meant to be – a counter balance to ‘gay pride’.

The personal *is* political and you cannot deny that a ‘hetero pride’ t-shirt is meant to counter ‘gay pride’.

Given the level of structural discrimination against heterosexuals is effectively nil, this can only be a personal comment meant to be directed towards those who are gay and a rallying call to those who are not.

Gay pride is a statement against the discrimination directed towards those who are gay (eg. the US military and others, failing to allow gay people to marry). Hetero pride can be nothing BUT a counter to gay pride and serves no purpose other than that as it counters no other form of structural or institutional discrimination. Even at a cultural level, there is no element of the dominant cultures which discriminates against heterosexuals.

I’m straight, but I don’t care whether people wear ‘gay pride’ t-shirts. It marks them out for abuse far more than wearing a ‘hetero pride’ t-shirt would – how many people are physically abuse, seriously injured, disfigured or murdered for being hetero? It answers itself really.

• nate says:

Patrick,

I see your point to some degree, however your logic is flawed. A few times in your statements you use duality as logic (“Given [x], this can only be [y].”) which is unfortunately a philosophical mistake.

I appreciate your comment, but you are flat out wrong in your inferring that a “heterosexual pride” t-shirt can only be a statement in opposition to those who are gay. It’s not anti-gay. It’s simply stating I like being hetero. Similarly, the “pro-choice” movement is not, by necessity, anti-abortion. It’s desire is simply to give the woman the right to choose. This claim is not a philosophical duality, as you have presented.

Thus, my humor and statement with a “heterosexual pride” statement does not mean I’m anti-homosexual. In fact, it says nothing about homosexuality at all. It implicitly states only that I am happy to be and support heterosexuality. The lack of the statement about something doesn’t mean the individual is “anti” that thing.

Anyway, it’s all in the name of “equality” really. ;) If one side can have t-shirts, so can the other. When someone gets upset about having a supportive statement about an opposing lifestyle, it really does create a conundrum doesn’t it? Funny how that last sentence works both ways.

52. Patrick EB says:

PS. I would use your script. Good work.

I don’t think you’re homophobic.

• nate says:

Haha.. and thanks for the support on the script… and you’re right, I’m most certainly not homophobic (you can ask my homosexual friends even). :)

Cheers.

53. I Like this!! I am heterosexual and proud too! :)

More in General
Bellingham Rental Search Engine Breaks 1000 Unique Visitors per Month (again)

PerfectSpace.com just hit a milestone (again). We've surpassed 1000 unique visitors this month. It doesn't seem like a big deal...