Blackberry 8800 vs Treo 750

Blackberry 8800 vs Treo 750

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve done a gadget review. Last time was a review comparison of the Blackberry 8700 vs the Treo 700, which seemed to capture a TON of attention and started a community of it’s own. It’s the #1 post I have for comments, and the #2 post in visitors on this entire blog. There seems to be an amazing amount of questions and community surrounding these phones.

But, since I haven’t actually been able to get my hands on either of these phones, I’ll be summarizing the specs. However, feel free to use this post as a base to continue the conversation before and after the phones come to market.

The Blackberry 8800 (Indigo)

blackberry 8800 indigo The BB 8800 (the one pictured is codenamed “Indigo”) is one sexy looking phone, I must admit. I currently have the 7100t, and I hate it. This phone looks like it needs Paris Hilton standing over it sexing up a burger or something.

But, beyond it’s sexiness, it’s probably good to find out if it’s functional, or worth functioning, if you will.

• Quad-Band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS, EDGE + Wi-Fi. Did you say WiFi? Yes, WiFi.
  • 320×240 screen
  • 106mm x 60mm x 15.5mm. Whew, that’s certainly thinner than Paris.
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • Full QWERTY keypad. No more of that “SureType” crap.
  • Email and SMS
  • Organizer
  • Internet
  • Blackberry Maps
  • Possible on some versions of the 8800 (Camera – 1.3 mp, 5x digital zoom, flash and maybe even video recording)
  • Media Player
  • 64 MB Flash, expandable memory (Micro SD)
  • Advanced noise and echo cancellation
  • Voice activated dialing, speaker phone, Bluetooth 2.0

Now, there’s been some speculation that not every one of these features will be available right away. Some say the camera will be available as late as the end of 2007. For BB folks, I hope not.

The Treo 750

treo 750vMost of you know there’s a less expensive Treo 680 out there which seems nice as well, but we’re here for the specs on the Treo 750, aren’t we?

• Windows Mobile® 5.2 OS (Ah crap. Why do they have to screw up a perfectly good phone by putting Windows on it. Poo.)
  • 240×240 screen
  • Supports GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS radio, GSM bands: 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS bands: 850/1900/2100
  • Speaker phone
  • 6-way calling
  • 128MB / 60MB nonvolatile flash memory available to user
  • 300MHz Samsung processor
  • miniSD card slot
  • Talk time: up to 4.5 hours GSM / 2.5 hours UMTS
  • Standby time: 10 days
  • Bluetooth® 1.2 wireless technology, Infrared (IR)
  • 1.3 megapixel with 2x digital zoom
    – Word Mobile
    – Excel® Mobile
    – PowerPoint® Mobile
  • SMS / MMS
  • Windows Media Player® 10 Mobile
  • Wired Car Kit Support

Conclusion

Ok, that’s a pretty good amount of features. A few things I could do without, like Internet Explorer Mobile and Windows Mobile. It’s also a bit thicker than the BB, which is pretty traditional, and sucky. But, for the typical Windows-office-guy/gal, with all of those programs at your fingertips, that’s got to be convenient.

One other thing where the BB shines and the Treo, well, goes into a dark closet and shuts the door, is the screen size. The 8800’s 320×240 screen is a whole 80px wider, making for a better overall experience, not to mention I would assume a better web browsing experience.

The last time I compared the BB vs Treo, I had to side with the Treo. This time, however, if the camera is attached and with the full QWERTY keyboard, I’ll have to side with the Blackberry. I’m not sure I’d switch over to one now, but since I’m a converted Mac guy now I’m going to have to look harder at this 8800 as a new phone. The one thing it’s lacking still is the 3rd party apps. There’s quite a few things I loved about my Treo 750 that had to do with 3rd party applications, which the BB doesn’t get yet – probably making their OS more stable in the end.

What’s your opinion?

Ok, Ken and company, here’s where you get to shine! I know Ken’s going to the Las Vegas CES Conference, so hopefully he’ll come back with some juicy stuff to share.

And last, but not least, if you’re interested in having some kind of forum started up about these phones, let me know here in the comments too as I’ve thought about doing that before but wasn’t sure it would be useful.

Thanks peeps. Ready? Go!

[tags]treo, 750v, 750 treo, treo 750, bb 8800, pearl, blackberry 8800, blackberry pearl, blackberry vs treo, blackberry 8800 vs treo 750, ces, palm, vodaphone, cingular[/tags]

70 Comments on "Blackberry 8800 vs Treo 750"

1. mike says:

ken,
    why don’t you like the 8100? is it the keyboard? personally, i think it’s a wonderful phone. Not to worry, Apple’s cell phone will turn the world upside down.

mike,

Well first of all, I’m Nate. I’m not sure if you meant that comment for Ken and if you know that he doesn’t like the 8100.

But, either way, I don’t like the 8100 because it does practically nothing that I used the Treo 650 for. I’d rather have a stupid free phone than this thing. The keyboard and SureType sucks compared to a full keyboard. There’s no camera, and the document support in email is hardly worth using at all.

In the end, it doesn’t even compare to the Treo 650 in my opinion.

But, I definitely will take a look at the 8800. It looks snazzy.

3. Anonymous says:

The 8100 does indeed have a camera. Are you sure you have the 8100 or do you mean the 7100? I think you may have switched the model numbers.

The 8100 is the BlackBerry Pearl: http://www.blackberrypearl.com. Is this the BlackBerry you have now?

Ah yes! Sorry… the 7100. Thanks!

I should probably write an “iPhone vs Treo vs BB” post. But, the iPhone would blow the others out of the water in my opinion.

The “downsides” to the iPhone:
    * touch screen keyboard will probably either take getting used to and/or have lots of mistakes made while trying to type fast.
    * EDGE vs EVDO network is slower.

Otherwise, some of the benefits like multitouch, full OS, and essentially being an iPod kind of outweigh the downsides.

I’m in.

I’m also into the AppleTV (used to be the iTV). I’ll be getting one of those too.

6. Lori says:

I have heard that the BB is more durable i.e. dropping it and that the palm 650 or 680 disconnects if you happen to press the screen…I am a multi tasker so I am guarranteed to drop the thing or have it drop between the seat and the passenger door and I am often cradling my phone while using my hands for other things. I know I could use hands free but I wear glasses and have tried those things and they do not stay in my ear. I like the idea of the larger keypad as opposed to the “pearl” but the 8700r does not come with a camera. The durability issue and the touch screen are my biggest concerns away from the Palm. any comments…or set me straight. thxs. I want to go and buy one yesterday but I keep going back and forth between the two…right now I am leaning towards the BB.

7. Mike says:

Lori-
    As far as reliability, Blackberry has had an exceptional track-record for a long time and most defiantly a year ago had the leg up on palm. However, I too am a multi-tasker and find the reliability of my Pearl to leave much to be desired. I am already on my second Pearl, which has a dent in the screen (which occurred simply by dropping it on a hardwood floor from slightly below hand height.) My previous Blackberries (especially the 8700) would have survived falls three times greater in height with only minor scratches. While the Treo’s I’ve used were far less reliable then my Trusty 8700c and 7250- their reliability certainly surpasses that of my Pearl. With the 8800’s design is so strongly based on the Pearl’s, I am skeptical that a user such as yourself would be successful with such a device. If you do end up going with Blackberry (which no doubt makes superior products), make sure to get a case!
    -Mike

8. mike says:

***cicso :(

FYI, here’s a list of some more questions/answers on the iPhone. A few of these severely makes me reconsider my earlier enthusiasm.

10. Anonymous says:

This article caught my eye as I am in the same state of mind. I am new at this but would like a device with good phone reception first and foremost. The next thing on my wish list is easy syncing with the device I choose and outlook 2003 and future updates. I know that you can group or categorize your contacts with the palms but can you also do that with the bb? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

11. Ken says:

Update buzz on the 8800-
    Here is the latest I’ve heard from my sources – nothing but bad news:
    1. Cingular will delay the launch until mid-Feb (as usual for them).
    2. The 8800 will NOT have a camera. (Again, no surprise t me).
    3. The 8800 will NOT have wi-fi capability. Now that’s a total bummer!! With Cingular’s not-so-fast EDGE network, I was really hoping for the wi-fi capability.

Now these are not confirmed facts, yet, but my sources are good.

You should also be aware that RIM will be releasing a 9000 series BB 4th quarter that will run on Cingular’s 3G network, which actually has some respectable speed. It’ll allegedly have a new processor and a support a full backup and restore to microSD card. Pretty snazzy, huh? IN the meantime, I’ll keep waiting for the 8800 to finally show up.

12. Ken says:

Also, my calmed down take on the iphone is this:
    It is definitely NOT a business tool. So we shouldn’t judge it for it doesn’t pretend to do. As a MAC user, the iphone is fantastic because it will synch to all the things I want it to synch to. But the reality is, I would probably wind up carrying around 2 devices – a BB for the business stuff, and the iphone….well…for no good reason…except as a desperate attempt to look cool.
    I think the real purpose of the iphone is to drive mac sales. Just like the real purpose of the ipdod was to drive business to itunes.

In any case, the stuff that the iphone will do, apparently it will do in a completely revolutionary manner. And that’s something. Apple doesn’t just push the envelope – it shreds it. And the touch screen technology it’s offering is nothing short of incredible. I bet if we looked at it as a super duper ipod, our expectations would be well exceeded.

the big unanswered question, for me, though, is, will we be able to purchase/download product wirelessly from the device? And if not, that would be a surprising limitation and one – I bet – caused by Cingular.

13. [email protected] says:

Ken and Nate-Does Blackberry Peard work with Verizon? “Fish”

14. Ken says:

Fish –
    short answer – nope. It’s currently a gsm only product right now (cingular, tmobile networks).

By the way, T-Mobile is releasing a cool “white” Pearl. The word “white” is misleading. It’s shiny and laquered and…well…kind of like a Pearl in color. Get one for the nurse you love.
    And Fish, if I was gonna get a BB on the Verizon network, the only decent model is the 8703.

15. mike says:

Ken,

The 8703e is not Verizon’s only good Blackberry. If “Fish” was considering the Pearl, he must be content with SureType. If he hasn’t used SureType, I would suggest that he go into a sore and use it for himself. If he’s content with it, then the 7130e is defiantly a possibility. It’s smaller then the 8703e, and the keyboard is more roomy then the Pearls.

Mike

16. mike says:

QUOTE: * 2 megapixel camera. They couldn’t have put a better camera in there? Treo already has a 3 MP. Hmm…
    -Nate

Nate: I’m confused, what Treo are you talking about that has a 3 MP camera? Palms highest end Treo- the 750 has a 1.3 MP camera.

17. Ken says:

Mike, well I’ll tell ya – I use a 7130c and I like it a lot. But I can’t really recommend the model on Verizon’s network because that device is actually quite different from the GSM model. It’s bulbous, bigger, and plastic-y. Nothing like my sleek, sexy Cingular model. So, all things considered, the 8703 is the only BB on Verizon I can get excited about. the 7130e gets a thumbs down for not being anywhere near the device the 7130c is. Honest.

18. Nick In UK says:

Returned my 750 as removing the aerial and making it slimmer than the 650 by reducing the size of the battery resulted in phone that fails to pick up a strong signal with less battery powery that is drained quickly by the activities of Windows Mobile.

The Palm OS of the 680 may prove a better bet but it might be a little too late with the arrival of the Blackberry 8800

19. Jon says:

Do we have any update on when the 8800 will be released? Also, what networks will it be available on in the united states?

20. Ken says:

Jon, as of now it looks as if Cingular will launch the 8800 on February 20th (or so the buzz goes). And it’ll be Cingular only for at least 3 months.

Also, I’m hearing a lot about an 8800 series BB which will launch on Verizon. What’s interesting about that device is that it is rumored to be a CDMA/GSM device, which means it will (allegedly) be Verizon’s first shot at an international device. It supposedly will take full advantage of Verizon’s EV-DO network domestically, while doing the gsm thing everywhere else in the world. The “experts” are guessing this would be a third quarter launch.

Still no word on whether Cingular’s 8800 will indeed have a camera and/or wifi capability. I’m still betting it will be NO and NO with the T-Mobile version having both.

We’ll all find out in just another couple of weeks.

21. Anonymous says:

I’m a former Treo 650 user – had to return for service 9 times. Swore if it broke down again after warranty went out I would switch to BB. It did, I have (bb8700) which I feel is a very superior operating tool for business [except for scroll wheel which is killing my forearm muscles]. Also love that I can now sync with pre-existing MAC software for addresses, e-mails & notes. But now after I painstakenly passed on the 680 for 8700 here comes the 8800. I’m still within 30 days return period and the 8800 is rumored due out this week – but the reviews say the track ball mechanism in the 88 is the same as the Pearl and that phone is “flimsy” so should as a first time bb user should I stay with an 8700 which is a reliable proven device or opt for the unproven 8800 thus putting me back in 9 time Treo return hell?? Also will the 8800 work with current pocket mac software or will I have to wait for an update of that too???

22. Ken says:

First of all, the 8700 is a great device. It’s been out a while, now, and it’s solid as a rock and has many terrific capabilities. We can also assume that with the 8800 coming out, that the 8700 should drop in price (not that it matters – you already bought yours). I was looking forward to the camera and the wi-fi capability of the 880 but it sure looks as if Cingular put the brakes on that. So, really, the question you have to ask yourself is strictly this: what does the 8800 have that the 8700 doesn’t (that I absolutely must have?) If you come up empty-handed on that answer, then stick with the 8700.
    I confess that I haven’t had any real time to touch and play with the 8800, so I can’t tell you for sure about how flimsy it is or isn’t. However, I’ve played extensively with the Pearl and didn’t find it or its mid-device track ball to be particularly flimsy. It actually felt like a pretty well made device unlike, say, the 7100 (sorry again, Nate), which is a plastic-y, kinda crappy experience. I’m just wondering if I could get used to having the track ball in the middle instead of the right side, after all these years. But that’s my problem – not yours. My expectation is that they 800 is gonna be a killer device – sleeker and sexier than the 8700. But so what? Bottom line, figure out what you want it to do and see if the 8800 really gives you that much more true capability. I say wait until the camera/wi-fi version comes out, (3-6 months from now) or wait until the Verizon version shows up with the EV-DO gsm combo, and then you’ve got something that’s possibly a big step forward, not just a half-step.

23. Carl says:

Thanks for the answer Ken. I think after two weeks with the BB 8700 that I’m definitely hooked on it being a better/more stable device than the 650 I had. I do miss the camera just a little bit – but that was more pleasure than business most often. Now…the curve has offically been thrown as I spoke w/ Cingular(now AT&T) today Feb. 20 and they said the 8800 will be in on the 21st – so my next question is will the pocket mac work with the new device or will i have to wait for some sort of upgrade?

And to think I was really hoping the Treo lasted until the summer when I could get the apple phone but – I love the stability of the BB and don’t want to experience the growing pains of that first phone at all as it’ll bring back to many bad Treo memories.

24. Carl says:

FYI – for all of the people that view your site it will please them to know that the 8800 is now available today Feb. 21, ’07 via Cingular – let’s hope it works well with the current version of Pocket Mac!

25. Ken says:

So is now the right time to talk about the new BlackBerry 8300 series? It looks as if it could have a launch by Cingular, uhm, I mean ATT, in mid-April. I don’t know all the specs for this device except that it has a full QWERTY keypad but may actually be the approximate size of the 8100. If true, I wonder if it renders the recently (and not fully released) 8800 obsolete. That would be strange. There are apparently a few different versions of the 8300 – jusst like the 8800. One with wifi, one without, etc. I’ll bet again that it will be Cingular, uhm, ATT, that releases the version minus WIFI with TMO picking up that piece later on. And speaking of TMO, where is the 8820? And it looks like they have gone on record as stating that VOIP is an unapproved application on their network. Never a dull moment. Nate, do you have any further specs or comparisons on the 8300? You usually get us the best details.

26. stu says:

I have been a loyal Palm user forever and I am currently using the 700P. The unit however was freezing up endlessly and I started to seriously investigate BB’s and the 700w. But then I read on some Blog that someone deleted all of their text message threads and their phone stopped freezing…..well let me tell you….it worked for me! All of my texts are personal and thus worthless so deleting them was not an issue. I agree that you should not have to do this procedure but I am again a happy Palm user! On another note, does anybody else find it frustrating that Verizon never has the newest models of any phone?

27. Darin K says:

So ya, im kind of in a bind here Ken. I am in the market for a PDA and it will be my first one. I’m in between BB vs treo’s. The biggest problem i have is that i really hate to leave Versizon because their service is great and have a much faster data network. Once again, their phone chioce is so limited.

I really dont want to go with cingular but i will if it’s theonly way to move up to a better phone that I will be happy with. Also i will be using it for the web and coorperate emails. It would be nice to revieve emails right to my phone!

please help Ken!..lol

28. Ken says:

Darin, you say that you want to receive your corporate email. Does your company have either a blackberry enterprise server or a goodlink server? And, also, are they ok with corporate email being redirected to your wireless device? Knowing the answer to these questions will help narrow down your already narrow choices. Also, I will check and see what’s up with new BB models on Verizon. I’ve heard for a while now that the new models will be available eventually, but I think there’s probably an update. The 8800 series on Verizon would certainly be sweet.

29. Ken says:

Darin,

OK, a quick check reveals that the 8800 will show up on Verizon’s network in the May/June timeframe. Also, Merrill Lynch claims that the Pearl (the 8100 series) will launch on Verizon in mid-May, which goes counter to some other predictions. So, if you can hold out a month, it looks as if you will get a much larger and more up to date BB selection on Verizon.

30. steven says:

along with the usual bells & whistles, i need a bberry or treo (or blackjack) that allows me to open and watch video clips that are emailed to me as attachments. so someone emails me a 4 minute video as an attachment, i need to be able to open it and watch it. do any of these have that capability?

31. ann says:

Hello- I am in the market for either a BB or treo and having problems sorting through all the hype on both. Hoping someone can help recommend both brand and model to purchase. I am starting my own business so want easy access to email and a reliable phone. I have been a cingular customer for many years. I do not need a phone or fancy features. Please help. thanks!

32. Ken says:

Steven,

I suppose I would recommend a window mobile device that runs on verizon or sprint. I’m still not satisfied with EDGE speeds on Cingular or TMO’s networks. Cingular’s 3G, UTMS network is all right, but the footprint isn’t where it needs to be, as of yet. If you are within that coverage area, that’s ok, so you may want to check a coverage map. Anyway, the Motorola Q will look like an obvious choice but I’m still dissatisfied with it’s clumsy interface and general instability. I personally prefer the Samsung Blackjack, but you won’t find it on Verizon or Sprint, only on Cingular. There’s always the Treo, but it’s relatively expensive.

33. Ken says:

Ann, I’m confused by your message. You say you want a reliable phone and then go on to say you don’t need a phone. Anyway, you should take a look at the Blackberry Pearl and the Samsung Blackjack. You may also want to wait for the new Blackberry 8300 series, which is, essentially, a Pearl with a QWERTY keypad, if you think you are going to do a lot of “typing”. I personally have my eye on that new model, which I think will be the absolute most perfect wireless device I could ever imagine for business and personal use. (Yeah….I’m excluding the iphone from that short list because it’s not a “business” phone). Anyway, the 8300 should be out in May.

34. Matthew S says:

I am Realtor.Above everything i use a Treo 650 to open Lock boxes otherwise i will have to carry a seperate lock box key.I have replaced my Treo 650, 4 times in the last 1 year.That means i have to reinstall my softwares every often.
    Now i am fed up and am thinking of a Treo680 or a BlackBerry 8800. But i am in a dilemma as to which one to choose.
    please help me giving me a good comparison along with the long term benefits as i do not want to change my phone often.

35. Ken says:

The 6800 is no great shakes over the 650. Maybe you should look at the 700 series to get what appears to be a better Treo. Of course you need to make sure that your lock box app works with it. I have no idea if it does. And I don’t know, either, if it works with BlackBerrys. If it does, I would seriously consider the 8800. Even better – take a good look at the new 8300 (aka the “curve”) which I think is the best wireless device for business ever manufactured. The iphone will probably take the honors for personal use. Anyway, I love the 8300 and, for my needs, it does everything and more that a Treo does, in a far more advanced format. Treo lovers who enjoy the stylist and palm apps would have reason to disagree with me. But, hey, it’s all about what works for you. Find out if the real estate/ lock box app works on the BB before you do anything else. Then you’ll have some real choices.

36. Nic says:

I’m in a dilemma as I’m primarily after an organiser/calendar/to-do-list with email/web capabilities and phone, large keypad and screen. I don’t mind bulk. If all else fails I’m happy to keep my phone seperate. I run Entourage on a recent version of mac and am finding it difficult finding something that will sync with my Entourage. Let alone trying to find the right gadget. Can you help?

Nic,

The Palm version of the Treo (I know the 650 worked, not sure about the 750) has an app which syncs with Entourage very well. It’s called PocketMac. It worked very well.

There’s also the SyncTogether app, but I haven’t tried that one.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

38. Ken says:

Yes. Pocketmac is great. And now it comes as a standard integrated part of the BlackBerry installation disc. I have a Mac, and use pocketmac with my BlackBerry and it’s been excellent. I have not used it, though, with Entourage, although others who have tell me the results have been favorable.

39. Nic says:

That’s great! Thank you very much!! You answered me in 1/2 hour what I couldn’t get from 6 different stores and sales people all day today.

40. Amanda says:

I too am having trouble getting info on what phone will help me the most. I had a Cingular 8525, which I thought would be perfect, but it had so much trouble working I had to take it back. Now I am wondering which one would fit me best: BB Curve, BB 8800, Palm Treo 750, or BlackJack.

1. I need the phone to preferrably sync with Outlook or at least have some kind of decent calendar. I need the calendar info to always display on the screen. (This is probably the most important feature.)

2. I need a To Do list and preferrably be able to have multiple lists or sort them by category.

3. I have all of my Music on Windows Media Player which I then converted to a storage card to use on my old phone. I would like to be able to put that music onto the new phone.

4. I also need Word or at least some type of notepad that I can use to keep track of notes/ideas, etc.

Thanks SO much for your help!!!!

41. Ken says:

Well I don’t think a BlackBerry is going to be of much use to you. You need to get a device with Window Mobile 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever is the latest iteration. There are a lot of devices to choose from. I suspect that the Blackjack may not be quite as powerful as you’d like. Maybe a Treo with the windows o/s (not the palm) might be a good fit for you. I highly recommend going to a store and checking out the form factor of several windows mobile devices. People always think they want everything including the kitchen sink – but then they think about actually carrying the thing around, putting it up to their face to talk, etc. etc. and it influences their decision. And check out a few carriers, as well. Cingular (now the new ATT) has a nice selection but so does Verizon – and on a better data network (if browsing the internet matters to you). And lately I’ve found that the much maligned Sprint actually has an excellent network and a steadily improving choice of producdts. And they tend to be a bit less expensive than ATT and Verizon, as well.
    Oh…and of course, there’s always the iphone which won’t do what you want, the way you want to do it. But it’s so damned cool and incredibly advanced that it just might get you to re-think your priorities, assuming you can afford one.

42. Amanda says:

Ken, thanks your advice. I really appreciate it. My concern is that I’ve heard/read that the Palm does not hold up very well. I don’t want to get phone that is always having trouble (I could have just kept the Cingular 8525 instead.) Are BlackJacks more reliable?

43. Ken says:

Amanda,
    I know that early Treos certainly had their problems. However it appears to me that for the most part the 700 series has been less trouble prone than its predecessors. I think they even have the windows mobile thing finally worked out. On the other hand, The Blackjack has been a winner right out of the box. Its been steady and stable and easy to use. And these days it’s surprisingly inexpensive for all of it’s capabilities. I also like the fact that it uses ATTs UTMS network (which Blackberrys and iphones don’t), so it has some nice internet capability, as well, assuming you have UTMS in your area. So, yes, I think a Blackjack is probably a good match for your needs. But I’m no expert on the music download thing, so make sure it can do what you want in that area.

44. PityMe_ImInIT says:

My 2 Cents Worth…

The BB is certainly appealing due more to its “social status” than anything else. I work for a small/mid-sized company where we use Exchange as our e-mail system and have been happily supporting Treo’s (Windows OS) for some time. Suddenly, a single BB must be supported…now.

In order to fully support the e-mail system (including attachments) I had to bring up a Windows 2003 Server and install the BB Enterprise software (free for 1 user / $99 per additional user / ~$1100 for 15 users). A special domain account with specific Exchange permission also needed to be configured for the e-mail forwarding to work.

The desktop version of the software (Redirector?) does work to some extent, but will not convert the attachments into BB readable documents, only appears to transmit every 4 hours or so (couldnt find where to change that setting) and is only a one-way sync (user deletes e-mail on phone, they get it again at the next sync). The lack of direct/preinstalled MS Office compatablity for e-mail attachments is a huge minus.

I didnt find the media manager software to work at all for converting video files from the Treo (3G2) to something the BB could handle (3GPP). (Wait, the newest BB cant support the newest 3GP video format, but the older Treo can?) The documentation on the software says it can do the conversion and when I drag-and-drop the 3G2 files to the phone, it did ask if I wanted to convert them. I said yes (and even yes PLEASE) and it never gave an error, but it didnt do the conversion either…or even copy the files. Guess it was just kidding when it asked. End result, 3+ hours more work to find/install video conversion software, do the conversions and get them onto the BB.

Lastly about the Media Manager, if the file type isnt supported, it does not show the file (unless there was some default filter on that I couldnt find). When you set up the MM you tell it which directories you want it to “watch” for music, pics, videos, etc (ok, i kind of liked that part). But if you put a file thats not a supported format in a watched folder, it wont even show up in listed the software. You have to use Windows Explorer to drag-n-drop the files to the phone side of the MM software…where it teases you about the conversion.

IMHO, its probably a good phone for individuals, except for the lack of a camera. For larger corporations with a number of these phones, I can see where enterprise software gives us IT people the control or the device that we crave. For small/mid-size businesses entrenched in MS Office/Exchange…stick with the Treo as the more cost-effective business solution.

…and thats all I have to say about that…

45. ChiHam says:

Well i was wondering, i use windows mail or outlook on my PC so its priority for me to sync the device.
    Which is my best option, BB Curve (8300) or the Treo 750 ?
    Before that which is better the BB 8300 or the 8800 ?

regards

46. Alex says:

Hey just thought i let you know they make the treo 750 in a palm edition and i own the bb 8800 its an amazing phone i would take it over my treo 680 any day even though the bb lacks a cam

47. Doug says:

I have been a Treo user for about 5 years. I sync to Outlook and push my email to my Treo. I am considerting a change to BB-8830 is the one I am considering. I am having difficulty in getting an answer as to whether the BB will sync as the Treo does with Outlook email and calendar. Any suggestions.

48. Seth says:

Both devices will sync w/ outlook. If your using exchange, you’ll have to get blackberry enterprise server to sync “over-the-air” which is expensive.

49. Ken says:

Let me clarify some of the chat here. The BlackBerry does NOT require a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to work with the email in your Outlook (or just about any web based mail service). The BlackBerry will “synch” with your email, out of the box. Understand, however, that the word “synch” is being used incorrectly in this context. “Re-directed” would be the correct term. Anyway, it’s the other Outlook fucntions, such as Contacts, that will not have an over-the-air, real time synch, out of the box. That requires a BlackBerry server. Other devices, such as the Treo, do no better. They require their own spiffy server, like a Goodlink solution.

Anyway, the latest edition of the BIS (the BB Internet Sever) which is included for free with your BB, is supposed to be able to actually synch these additional Outlook functions. And it is supposed to be available, literally, any day now. That will be a stunning application, and will make the BB even more compelling than it already is. You will have these seamless, integrated solution, right out of the box, and for no additional charge. And it should also be backwards compatible, so there is no need to wait to buy the BB.

Even in its current configuration, the BB still negotiates, re-directs, and (incorrectly) synchs email better than just about any other device/solution available today.

And for the record, the Treo, with the Palm OS is still terrific. The Treo with the Windows Mobile OS still sucks in so many ways, it’s ridiculous. Don’t be fooled into thinking that a windows mobile OS automatically guarantees a better integrated product. Microsoft is still way behind BB and Palm in dealing with wireless – as they should be, coming to the game so late.

50. Larry says:

Actually Ken your incorrect in regards to the Treo needing its “own spiffy server” as you put it. It can be connected directly to your Exchange Server or any “POP” account. So much easier and painless connection to your email. Plus when connected to your Exchange Server it synchs email, contacts and calenders automatically. No other software requires such as BES for the Blackberry.

Larry

51. Ken says:

Larry,

What? Me wrong? Is that possible? Yeah, I guess so. You are absolutely right that the Treo will work right out of the box with an Exchange server, synching wirelessly to all those outlook functions. It will not, however, wirelessly synch in real time to the non-email functions like contacts and calendar, with a pop 3 account (as you actually noted). So, as a stand-alone solution there is not much difference in capabilities between the treo and the BB, so far. And yeah, in an Exchange environment, these days, the Treo is certainly easier (and less expensive) since it doesn’t require a BES. There’s a difference is security capabilities, which is where I screwed up. I was comparing goodlink to a BES in terms of providing a true, behind-the-firewall, encrypted , end-to-end solution. But that was not the real point of the discussion.

But hey, just to change the discussion for a second, (because I don’t want to dwell on being wrong any longer), did ya see that new Palm Centro? Finally, Palm went with a new design, creating what is essentially a slightly smaller Treo. And the best part is that its $99.00 after rebates. Finally I’m again excited about a Palm product. It’s been a long time. Full QWERTY keypad, a camera, and a couple of colors in which to choose. I”m liking that maybe a lot. At the moment it’s only available on Sprint – but, hey, these days, Sprint has the most under rated network out there. It’s fast for data, I mean real fast with that EVDO network, and it has a better nationwide footprint than Verizon. I think it’s a knockout combination for anybody looking to upgrade their cellphone to a true smartphone with full Treo-like capabilities. I’m a believer!

52. john says:

i am a first time poster here. i am looking to buy my first smart phone. it will be for my own personal use. i live in canada and am looking for a GSM Quad Band phone. so i have narrowed my choices down to the BB Curve 8300 and the Treo 680. my needs are some internet browsing to check stock quotes, some emailing and text messaging(this is why i want a full QWERTY keyboard, a good organizer(time planner, to do list). i will use it as a phone but not that much. the camera feature is not important to me.
    ken in an earlier post you wrote that you thought that the 8300 would be a good phone. have you had any more experience with it since then?
    does anybody else have any experience with one of both of these phones? i would appreciate any comments or advice?
    thanks. john

53. Ken says:

John, I always thought the Treo 680 was sort of an odd duck. If I remember correctly, it was released on Cingular after the 700 series has already been released on other carriers. It seemed to offer very little more than the 650 did, at that time. It’s only real purpose for existing, I thought, was to be the first Treo that was a BlackBerry Connect device, meaning it could be used on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Not that anybody cared. Since its introduction, it’s gone through lots of Palm OS updates. And, unfortunately, I lost interest in the device so I cannot comment on this model’s evolution and whether it actually works particularly well these days. I put more of my attention to the 700/750 series, which were inherently more interesting devices, not the least reason was that they were capable of using so-called “3G” networks. The 680 is stuck with EDGE, which is awfully slow next to the 3G stuff.

As for the BB Curve, 8300, well…I’ve heard nothing except positive comments from users/clients of mine. There have been very little returns of the device compared, for instance with the Treo 600, way back when, or the Motorola Q, more recently. BB is generally very good with product reliability, even with brand new models. So I would judge satisfaction levels as being very high. Having said that, it also only runs on EDGE over ATT, so that’s my only disappointment with it.

I think BBs generally negotiate the slower networks better than Treo, but that’s not saying much. And I happen to think the Curve is simply a move advanced device than a Treo 680, in terms of features, reliability, stability, and form factor. A Treo 750 on 3G, kind of levels the playing field, but not the 680. And again, I’m speaking from the 680 I knew. The OS updates might have made it a much better device, but in my ignorance, I remain sceptical.

Hope that helps.

54. Frank says:

Iam brand new at learning about PDA’s. Iam a little confused with all these names, are BB and treo = PDA’s? Are they just brand names?
    When you talk about downloading to your PDA that means either a BB or treo? Iam looking to buy one of these, i dont need email acess, i do want easy internet access for stocks, and browsing also GPS. I also need to download many references, posters from CD’s, and other data.
    any advise,

Frank

55. Ken says:

Frank,

Well let’s start with the term, PDA, which isn’t getting much use these days. It pretty much used to refer to those good old Palms and Palmlike devices that had no wireless connection to the internet or much of anything else. Today, the old style PDA has pretty much been replaced by what is mostly called a smartphone. BlackBerrys and Treos, among other brands, are connected to the internet through a wireless carrier and synch with your Outlook or other contact, calendar, and email systems, using a variety of methods and protocols. So the BlackBerry OS, the Palm OS and the Windows Mobile OS (and yeah I know they’rer not really OSs, but it’s the best I can do for now), all approach this connectivity and synch in different ways, yielding largely satisfactory results for individual users who are not part of an Exchange or Lotus or whatever server environment.

Now just to add to this – there is now the Apple iphone, which, based on your stated requuirements, might be a very good fit for you. I like the fact that it can access wifi- in addition to ATT’s crappy, slow EDGE network. And it is unsurpassed for internet browsing and has gigs of memory which it sounds like you would need for the type of downloads you are describing.

So there it is. Go get yourself an iphone and enjoy it.

56. john says:

fist off i want to thank Ken for replying to my earlier post. it is good to get as much information from as many sources as possible and i appreciate Ken’s input.
    i had asked if anyone was familiar with the Treo 680 and the BB Curve 8300, as i was comparing them, and planning to purchase one of them.
    this was to be my fist purchase of a smart phone. i wanted a device that would give me internet access and that came with a full QWERTY keyboard, and also offered a good calendar/time management planner. my only prior experience with a cellular device was a cell phone that i bought and used in europe.

so now i also want to make a contribution to this forum, based strictly upon my personal experience and not any hear say.
    i decided to purchase the curve and not the treo 680. i compared both in the store, and from the limited in store demonstrations, they both seemed fairly similar to me. the deciding factor for me was that the curve was a lot lighter and lot less bulkier than the treo.
    I have now had the Curve for over 10 days now and want to give you my impressions of it.
    i am sorry to say that i am not that impressed with the Curve. there is so much hype over these blackberry devices, and in my opinion they simply do not live up to all of that hype.
    firstly the curve is an expensive device, i bought it outright. and for such an expensive device i would expect much higher quality.
    i own a Nokia 6020 cell phone(GSM tri band) which i bought in europe. the quality of my nokia is much higher than that of the blackberry. the nokia is more solidly constructed. the outside case on the curve is just cheap quality plastic, at least my nokia has a higher quality of plastic casing. and the keys on the curve are made of very cheap plastic, that became obvious to me after doing a fair bit of typing on it. the keys on my Nokia are a much higher quality plastic, and have a much more solid feel to them when typing.
    i bought the curve so that i could get access to the internet and check on stock quotes. it is unfortunate that the internet browsing capability on the curve is so lousy. when browsing the internet, the speed is VERY SLOW, that is if i can make a connection at all. many times my curve has just frozen up when i tried to access the internet. overall the internet browsing experience is terrible. certainly blackberry should not be bragging about this device and its great internet browsing capability because it just does not exist.
    and that great blackberry customer service that is so hyped up, again that is just a myth. i have had a couple of problems that i could not resolve myself since i got the phone. i have tried to get blackberry customer service, and i have been referred to Rogers Wireless customer support, they have a special data division that looks after blackberry customers. i live in canada. to put it mildly, their customer service has been pathetic. one agent even told me to just review the curve 101 online demo, to get an answer to my problem. this surprised and disappointed me, especially since i had told him that i had already watched that demo and it did not address my particular problem.
    on the plus side, i can say that the full QWERTY keyboard ia a great tool, it makes typing fairly easy and fairly fast for me, especially when compared to my nokia cell phone.
    the calendar is okay, but not great, it lacks flexibility and features.
    the battery life is good, it has lasted me 4 – 5 days on moderate use.
    and the phone functions okay, the voice quality is okay.
    so overall, i have to give the curve a failing grade, especially since it is so expensive, and so highly hyped up. the truth is it simply is not that good of a device. it is mediocre at best. if mediocre is acceptable to you, then that is what the curve delivers, albeit at a rather expensive price tag.

57. Adai says:

I am making my first PDA purchase. I am stuck and totally in the dark as to which to choose. I need GPS capabilities (most important), internet access and access to my windows programs would be great. A camera is not at all important but, quality is. I am deciding between the 8300 curve and the Treo 750. Ideally, I’d like to be on ATT but, if there are better options on a different network I’d make that choice. Thanks for your help.

58. Ken says:

John,

First, thanks for the kind words. But I also want to follow up with your detailed and much appreciated “road test” of the Curve. I hate to sound like the Blackberry apologist I clearly am, but I want to lay the blame (or credit) where it deserves to be, at least in my opinion.

And that is with the carrier – in your case Rogers, who was once owned or part owned by AT&T. I believe that the lousy internet experience you are having on the Curve is more a function of Roger’s slow data network than it is a limitation of the device. BlackBerrys here in the lower 48 states, that operate on Verizon and Sprint’s fast CDMA network, perform very well. And, by the way, so do most other manufacturers’ devices.

If you’ll pardon this flawed analogy, it’s like buying a plasma screen HDTV and using one of those semi-cirlce antennas to pick up channel 86 and blaming the TV for the lousy picture.

As for BlackBerry’s legendary support – well, it is really superb. Honest. If, of course, you are an enterprise customers subscribing to their T-Support program. However, the arrangement that RIM makes with the carriers is that they (the carriers) are responsbile for the support of individual consumers, just as they would be for any phone. So once again, I place your bad support experience at the feet of Rogers. RIM has programs to train and certify carrier support personnel and they do a good job with it. But it’s up to the carrier to implement and support those RIM based programs.

I have little experience with Rogers, but I’ve worked with many of the US based carriers, and the BB support they provide varies widely by carrier. All I know is that RIM provides all the tools and support a carrier could ask for – and more – especially to the business customer. It is up to the carrier to implement properly. So good luck to us all. Even Apple has had significant support issues with AT&T with the launch of the iphone, most of which can be blamed on AT&T. No manufacturer can free themselves of the dependency they have on the carrier to do their job.

Maybe now that Google is getting into the mobile game, things might change…slowly. But it is interesting to note that both ATT and Verizon want nothing to do with them. It’s the second stringers – T-Mobile and Sprint – who arre jumping aboard the Google train. If Google is successful, they may finally change the “customer ownership” paradigm once and for all. And we, as consumers, all stand to benefit from it.

Thanks again, John, for taking the time to share your experiencewith us.

59. Ken says:

Adai – before I can fully answer, I need to know what you want to do with your GPS capability.

60. Adai says:

Hi Ken – I’d like get directions from any point to any point. Excuse my ignorance, what else is GPS is capable of?

61. Ken says:

Adai,

There are a lot of different flavors of how gps navigation is used. One of the biggest apps for gps, by the way, is for employers to track where their trucks and/or people are. And there are a lot of dispatch apps that use gps as a part of a total solution.

In your case, if gps navigation is one of the most important apps, you need to look past the carrier and device, and into the most app you like the best.

It’s always a three foot stooll – carrier, app, device. Take away one, and the stool falls.

Soooo, there’s NavMan out there, and Telenav, and Xora, and a few others. I’ve heard good things about NavMan but haven’t personally used it.

As far as networks are concerned, generally speaking, the gsm based neteworks (ATT and T-Mobile) are not going to be your best choice for gps based apps. Last time I checked, ATT put a lot of restrictions on gps capability and I believe did not offer a choice of application providers. If anyone has information to verify or contradict this, please let us know.

Sprint has generally been the most GPS friendly and GPS capable carrier with good access, accomdation of application, and, oh yeah…. it works very well in conjunction with their network. Verizon is probably a second best choice.

And as for device, well, I think that’s probably the least important component, assuming, of course, that it is, indeed, GPS enabled. I believe there is a BB model on Sprint that will do it. And the Treo will, as well. Talk to one of the somewhat informed reps at Sprint to get details on specific models.

ATT has a lot of advantages, as a carrier, but GPS is definitely not one of them. So, if you’re not going international for 99% of your use, really consider Sprint.

Their marketing is horrible but their network is actually very good.

62. Rosane says:

Help! I have a BB 8830 and have 1 month to use it or exchange it for a new Verizon Palm treo. The new one that just came out in January. I am having a hard time holding on to this thing. Plus whenever I reach for it I set off the “say a command” activation. I can’t shut that thing off. Okay, I’m simple, but I need a good calandar. I have been unable to sink my BB to my computer. I am thinking about switching to the palm but don’t know enough about either phone. Does the new Palm disconnect calls if you touch the screen? and how is the reception? They are both a lot of money and I only have a few days left. Please help me make this decision for the not so techy person. I need good and easy phone navigation. Can you help!

Rosane

63. Ken says:

Rosane, Hey I was really really hoping that somebody else – anybody else – would respond to you first. My first thought upon reading your email is that perhaps….and just perhaps….the BlackBerry and the Treo are a little more smartphone than you actually need. First of all, the 8830 is a really, really fine piece of equipment. It’s capabilities and ergonomics are, for the moment anyway, state of the art. I start stuttering to myself when I read stuff like, “I’m having trouble holding on to this thing”. That’s just not a problem I have come across previously. As for going to the Treo – well, honestly, I don’t think I can adequately guess what kind of trouble you might get into with that device – touch screen, stylus, and all. Perhaps someone will have their eye poked out. I just don’t know.

Ya know, most phones, these days, have some sort of calendar program. Maybe you should look at something a little less….robust and expensive. What about the LG enV? That phone has some very cool capabilities including a qwerty keypad and may not be subject to the same unintentional button pushing problems you’re currently dealing with.

Ultimately, you should be trying these phones out in the store (this is my new mantra). You have to pick them up and handle them and press the buttons. the screen, the trackwheel, etc. and see how you like the way they they feel and navigate while you’re still in the store – hopefully with an employee who actually knows something about how the devices work.

Our brains all work in different ways, and some interfaces feel very intuitive for some of us but not for others. You have to figure out what makes the most intuitive sense for you. The only exception to this, is the iphone which seems to be intuitive for everybody. Amazing! But I digress. Go play with the Treo, the LG and maybe a Samsung of some type and just see what feels good and makes the most intuitive sense.

And don’t listen to those people who tell you that you absolutely MUST have a BB or Treo. That’s no longer true for the casual non-business user who wants basic outlook-like capabilities on a phone.

And, by the way, why can’t you “sink” (sic) your BB to your computer? It’s not that hard to do. And why isn’t Verizon helping you out with that? Do you have a laptop? Bring it into the store and demand that somebody help you do this! I’m tired of certain wireless carriers (and electronics stores, as well) hiring help that are poorly trained and unmotivated.

Don’t get me started….

64. Rosane says:

Thank you. I did bring my computer to the store and they said that they could not touch it. I will go back again. I did play wih the Treo and liked the feel of it. Like I mentioned earlier, I hit the side key on the BB that sends off the voice command. Verizon said I could not shut this off. I do like how the BB reminds me of appointments, but I found the Treo a little easier to manipulate as far as the calandar and it will remind me as well. I do like the touch screen but have read some reviews that you can disconnect a call by touching the screen. I am in sales and have decided that I need to electronically set myself up and enter into the world of today. One phone that can do it all. Make calls and schedule appointments.

I also like the larger icons on the treo. I heard that I will get my email every 15 min. BB is faster, but I do not see that as a concern.

Thank you for advise.
    Rosane

65. Ken says:

Rosane,
    Sounds like you’ve got your mind made up – and I think you should be happy with the Treo. One point of clarification: I do understand that the Verizon clerks can’t touch your computer. The liability would be a problem. However, they certainly could have guided you through the process, step by step, looking over your shoulder, so to speak. And if there was a problem that needed to be troubleshot, they could have had access to an internal data specialist. But I suppose that is asking too much of them. And I don’t blame the clerks – who are underpaid and squeezed to make quotas. They’re much happier selling basic cellphones and helping you pick out your favorite colors. I blame the carrier (of course) who can’t seem to properly train their people to sell their product line.

By contrast, go to an Apple Store and ask any employee there about any product on their shelves. What a difference. And I’ll tell ya, if I were going to buy an iphone, I’d most certainly buy it at an Apple Store, not an ATT store.

And the reason I don’t have an iphone is because I’m terminally annoyed that ATT insists on an iron clad 2 year contract, even though they are charging an unsubsidized full price for the phone. That is ridiculous!

Anyway, keep your eyes and ears open as I believe there will finally be a “business compatible” corporate iphone coming out within the next 30 days. I’m not exactly what that means, but it may push me over the edge to get one. Or without a real keypad, maybe not.

66. Joe says:

I know it’s been a while since this has been written, but for business it’s still no contest. I’ve been using the latest Blackberry for two months now and waiting to like it. Still waiting. I used a Blackberry, then a Treo and now a Blackberry again.

Say what you want about Windows Mobile, when it’s time to get work done and plow through 100 e-mails, actually compose responses and do work, the Treo beats the snot out of the Blackberry. With the BB you wear the skin off your thumb trying to use their little track ball and scroll through the menus. EVERY option you need is always at the bottom of the menu and you can’t scroll from the first option “up” to the last option, you have to scroll all the way down (more skin cells scraped off by the track ball).

Read an e-mail, OK, I’ll have to get back to that when I’m in the office… hit the menu key, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll (yes, six times) Close. Yeah… that’s a pain. Now do it about 50 times in a row. You just scrolled 300 times. How’s that thumb?

Treo, click (open), click (menu), click (close). Three clicks. Hmmm. Seems like an obvious productivity increase for a tool that’s supposed to be all about productivity.

Ya know why the BB is one hand operation? So people can use it when they’re driving. That’s the ugly truth and it’s just a bad idea. You’ve seen it and so have I.

Also, the idea that you have to pay for user licenses plus a copy of the server software for Blackberry, when Win/Mobile is free and runs off of existing Windows servers, is just irritating. Our sales guys FORCED us to Blackberry because that’s what they had before and they’re so technically challenged that the idea of anything else is just too scary. It has cost us THOUSANDS of dollars more than a similar Treo implementation.

I’m continually amazed by “reviews” between the two devices. These are productivity tools but the reviews make a big deal out of the camera! Really? For business, who cares about the difference between a 2mp or 3mp camera? Our field service reps use 2mp to document problems and it’s fine. Where’s the productivity review? Where’s the time it takes to read and process 50 e-mails? That my friends is a useful review.

BTW – iPhone is not an option simply because they decided to force companies to go with AT&T. If you’ve ever dealt with an AT&T corporate account you’ll appreciate how bad that decision really is.

67. Ken says:

Joe,

Wow – there’s still somebody out there debating the merits of the Treo over the BlackBerry. Frankly, I thought the new discussion is the Pre vs. the 3Gs iphone. The Treo, in my humble opinion, is dead. And if I worked at RIM right about now, I’d be chewing Ativan like candy – trying to relieve the anxiety of having nothing competitive to show – ya know – like Palm was up until they were finally smart enough to hire the Apple guy and create a stunning, kick-ass, new product. Sometime later this year, Verizon will allegedly release an Apple phone product (which will NOT be called a iphone) and that will certainly throw another bauble into the mix.

As for me – I dumped my BlackBerry Curve for the new iphone – and I’m hugely happy with the decision. I’ve had great resistance to the iphone due to the virtual keypad. But eh truth is, that the damned BB Curve’s keys were so small and close together that I was constantly correcting many many typos after pushing out messages with my thumbs. With the iphone I’m using only one finger to type – but my accuracy has gone way up to a now acceptable level – so without having to go back and constantly correct – I figure I”m essentially typing accurately at the same speed minus the frustration.

I sure do like the Pre – and if I wasn’t a MAC user – I think I might have purchased it over the iphone. But, having the synching capability and the “mobile me” stuff gave the iphone a slight edge for my specific use.

Also, I know Sprint gets a bad rap for just about everything they do – and they largely deserve it – but I’ll tell you something – they have the best damned 3G network in the US – hands down. Even better than Verizon. ATT’s 3G network really isn’t nearly as good in terms of speed or coverage, but it works reasonably well where I am 95% of the time and that’s good enough for me, right now.

I now bid official farewell to the Treo vs. Blackberry debate. It’s been fun. But now it’s done.

68. Geo says:

It’s 2013 but I’ll go right ahead and post anyway :)

I used a Treo 750 for 4 straight years (2007-2011). I’m not sure if I was just lucky or what, but it never gave me any issues, just died abruptly after 4 solid years. I’m with AT&T and was clearly due a new phone, so I grabbed the only free Palm phone they had available with a real keyboard, which was the Palm Pixi Plus. I went from swearing by Palm products to swearing directly at them. The Pixi (nice name) is in every way worse than the Treo in terms of physical hardware. Too thin, too narrow, too cramped. Also I had to adjust from Windows Mobile to WebOS, and surprisingly that is the one thing that I like better about the newer phone. That was two years ago, and I stuck with it even though I have been less than impressed with the Pixi. AT&T now owes me another free phone, two years later, and my one absolute requirement is a physical qwerty keyboard. I cannot, will not adjust to a virtual keyboard. My wife’s iPhone annoys me to no end. So I took a look at AT&T’s free or low price with a new contract offerings, and all I see are a couple of Blackberries. Never used one before. Not sure what to get.

1. Phones
  2. Blackberry 8700c vs Treo 700w

More in General, Techie
Social Networking Around the Turntable

Photo courtesy maxw If you're a Techcrunch reader like I am, you've probably seen the reviews and talk surrounding iLike.com....