Thinking through the (RED) Campaign

red campaign I want to go on record that I think the (red) campaign is a great idea. However, I am very curious as to whether or not it’s been successful.

I’ve read quite a few articles discussing RED’s successes and failures. I’m very interested in starting a campaign along a similar line, but all grassroots. Rather than 10% of the profit going to the cause, what about 90%? It’s completely possible.

But, I’m more interested in what you guys have to say. What are the issues? How could they have done better? I’m not looking for RED bashing, I’m asking the simple question of…

“If we could do it all over again, how could we do it better?”

How?

[tags]red, campaign, one, bono, joinred, buyless[/tags]

8 Comments on "Thinking through the (RED) Campaign"

I was reading another article on (red) this morning and thought… perhaps it would be good to have products which are all environmentally friendly as well. That kinda helps with the “we buy too much crap that just ends up in a landfill” argument.

2. Brad says:

Things they did right: the brand (color, typography, consistency of graphics); publicity (it’s hard to live where I live and not know about the campaign).

Things they could have done better: explain what it is (I see it everywhere, but only have a vague idea of what it’s for); make people more personally invested in it (as opposed to having mainly corporate ties); use Facebook.

That was my quick thinking on the subject.

3. Brad says:

Heh. You could do a nice spin for environmentally friendly products.

“(green)” is the obvious choice, but that’s too cliché. Maybe “{really green}”.

I also thought perhaps giving people the option to directly donate all that money before they purchase the thing(s).

Oh, and another thing… I read in one of the articles that instead of focusing on solving hunger, focus on giving those people something sustainable like (in my thoughts) the means to improve their own economic condition.

In short, I was thinking of maybe having the money donated towards micro-finance or something like that, where the people could receive money which would help themselves out of certain situations.

6. lach says:

1) If you really stand behind it, give more profits to charity
    2) Don’t let brands use it if their products are produced in a bad way

Other than that, it was executed well. Catchy designs. Smart and current causees. Trendy brands. Big names. You’d be hard pressed to get Apple, Gap and Bono on one cause, yet (RED) managed it fine.

I agree on both counts.

It looks like I may be working with a group of students who will be the first ones to implement this idea. In 3 hours I created a site which would do the job. I’ll need to do a little more design work for each cause, and then we’ll fill it with products from a few drop shippers and off we go.

Keep the ideas coming, you are definitely influencing a new business.

8. Robin says:

Since I’m writing an article on it now, I did do some research. I agree with other people: color and advertising was perfect, however it was hard to find out WHAT it was. We knew it was, just not the specifics.
    As for what they’re donating, Global Fund settled on 50% so that businesses would know THEY are still making money (selfish but true). And that way, the products are no more or less expensive than other similar products, because it doesn’t hurt the company itself in any way.

More in Community, General, Ideas, Leadership, Projects
Graphing Social Patterns

Tomorrow morning (perhaps this morning by the time you read this), I'll be on my way to the Graphing Social...