photo courtesy dgphilli
Apophenia recently posted a great article about some studies on who clicks on ads. I know, most of you folks NEVER click on ads. That’s why I don’t make much off my 80k visits to this blog and in turn why I have to talk about this kind of stuff all the time since I’m completely obsessed with making money to support my addictions.
I do respect you more for it, but before we get all snooty about… hahah… I couldn’t finish that sentence. Snooty geeks. That’s funny stuff, I don’t care who ya are. That’s funny stuff.
Here’s the rundown of who actually clicks on ads (vs. who we think clicks on ads):
- They are predominantly female, indexing at a rate almost double the male population (hooray for celebrity websites)
- They are older (hooray for old celebrity websites)
- They are predominantly Midwesterners (hooray for old conservative celebrity websites)
- Not surprisingly, they look at sweepstakes far more than any other kind of content (hooray for old conservative celebrity websites that offer prizes).
- Yes, these are the same people that tend to open direct mail and love to talk to telemarketers.
So, what’s the end result?
Sorry, I have to go build an old person’s celebrity website to capitalize on a certain hush hush demographic. I’ll be releasing the beta tomorrow after 14 cans of my favorite energy drinks (aff).
Figure it out for yourself. You’re an adult now. All you middle america women out there…. start clicking!