Google, Minus The Crappy Results

090808 DeSoto Automobile Google Search

Image by bsabarnowl via Flickr

Lately I’ve been searching Google a ton, and I keep running into crap websites that I just hate clicking on.  Normally, when I see a problem with a product, I just inform the company who produces it that it’s irritating and hope they’ll change it.  Google is too big for that, and they don’t care whether certain websites annoy people like you and I.

So, the other solution is to hijack the search mechanism I use.  Generally, I use the Google search tool in Firefox, so the obvious thing to do was create a search “engine” which filters out the sites I hate.

Thanks to @mattbo, I found the Search Plugin Generator, which helped me create what I wanted.

So, here it is.

• v 0.1 G-minus removes about.com, experts-exchange.com, answers.yahoo.com

Install it yourself.  If there are other sites you want added to it, let me know in the comments. I’ll make revisions and update this page as necessary.

6 Comments on "Google, Minus The Crappy Results"

1. Jason Kiesel says:

Great post. Thanks for the info. I can’t stand it when I search for programming topics and “experts-exchange” pops up. Good stuff.

Jason Kiesel
    Founder & CEO

2. Jeff Starr says:

I second the hatred for that stupid experts-exchange crap. Also can’t stand other registration-required information sites. I mean, what’s the point? You want my personal information so you can pitch more stuff and hopefully get my money. No thanks, there are plenty of free sources of info available on the Web with no hassles required. Fortunately, there are excellent tools available such as your custom search filter that enable people to fly high above the garbage. Thank you, Nate!

My pleasure Jeff and Jason. Thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated.

4. mark says:

In the last year or so, sites I frequent have gone to crappy adsense sites just to please the almighty google. google has lost site of what the user wants and has centered on what google needs, MONEY! You can’t search the web without the top search results coming up with sites that use to be useful, but now are full of crap that leads you in circles to nowhere. google has taken the web into nightmare of google ads. Enough is enough. You have broke something not broken.

Mark, I hope when you said “You have broke something not broken” that you mean Google, and not me.

6. mark says:

Nate every thing was targeted at google. Sites are so full of garbage content to please google, I can’t even recognize some of my favorite sites.They are hard to navigate and confusing. google has made things worse, not better!

More in General
Emergency/Disaster Information Relief Is On The Way

Tis the season for disasters and emergencies.  There always seems to be something going on in the world where people...