You would have thought that I would have learned my lesson a long time ago on how to do be an ass. Apparently, I’m a slow learner. Apparently I spent too much time as a kid sniffing lead paint. I just didn’t learn.
Today I did.
How to be an ass (pick one or more)
- Declare that things are going in the wrong direction when the group has already decided to go that way
- Whine about a team’s action or lack-there-of
- Declare that “this needs to be said”
- Generally be a prick to those who’ve supported you
- Don’t accept responsibility and move to be better in a positive way. Sit and complain about things
- Don’t ever say you’re sorry
What I’ve learned (the hard way)
- Congratulate the team publicly
- Correct the individuals privately
- Listen before you “correct”
- Being disappointed is ok, but saying it tactfully requires time and planning
- Never, ever talk when your emotions are raging. Sit and be quiet.
I’m not sure what I’ve learned is everything I need to but I’m documenting these lessons here so that both I and others can point back at them and say “I thought you learned this already, you ass.”
So, publicly, I want to say it again… I’m sorry.